WEST HAM UNITED VS ARSENAL
August 9, 2015 (Emirates Stadium): Arsenal 0-2 West Ham
West Ham: WWWDD
- West Ham United are looking to win both matches against Arsenal in the same Barclays Premier League season for the first time since 2006/07
- Arsenal’s defeat to the Hammers (0-2) on opening weekend of this campaign ended a run of nine consecutive league wins against them
- Arsene Wenger has won nine and lost just two of his 16 BPL visits to the Boleyn Ground (W9 D5 L2). The only away grounds he has won more often at in the league are Goodison Park and Villa Park (both 10 wins)
- Olivier Giroud has found the net five times in six league outings against West Ham; but just one of these has been netted at the Boleyn Ground
- Cheikhou Kouyate has scored in two of his three Premier League games for West Ham against the Gunners
According to Bilic, the match against Arsenal will come too soon for defenders James Collins and Sam Byram to be involved.
Mathieu Flamini (hamstring) and Aaron Ramsey (thigh) could be back for the Gunners, who will still be without Santi Cazorla (Achilles tendonitis) and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee). Thomas Rosicky (thigh) and Jack Wilshere (broken leg) are both nearing a return to action but are lacking match fitness and unlikely to face West Ham.
West Ham XI: Adrian; Tomkins, Reid, Ogbonna, Cresswell; Kouyate, Noble; Antonio, Payet, Lanzini; Sakho
Arsenal XI: Cech; Bellerin, Koscielny, Gabriel, Monreal; Coquelin, Elneny; Sanchez, Ozil, Iwobi; Welbeck
PREDICTED SCORE: Arsenal 2-2 West Ham
ASTON VILLA VS AFC BOURNEMOUTH
August 8, 2015 (Goldsands Stadium): Bournemouth 0-1 Aston Villa
Aston Villa: LLLLL
- Aston Villa have lost just one of their previous six meetings with AFC Bournemouth in all competitions (W4 D1 L1)
- AFC Bournemouth have visited Villa Park three times across all competitions, drawing once and losing twice; including a FA Cup fourth round defeat in 2015
- The Cherries have not lost successive away matches in the Barclays Premier League since 1 November 2015, winning four, drawing four and losing two since then
- Villa have lost each of their last seven league matches; only once before have suffered more consecutive defeats in the league, in 1963 when they lost 11 in a row
- No team has a lower top-scorer in the Premier League this season than both Villa (Ayew, Gestede – 5 each) and Bournemouth (Wilson – 5)
Aston Villa could welcome back defender Ciaran Clark after he returned to training following a calf problem, while Jack Grealish and Adama Traore came through a Barclays Under-21 Premier League match with West Bromwich Albion on Monday.
Benik Afobe will not feature for AFC Bournemouth as he continues to recover from a hamstring injury, so Lewis Grabban and Josh King are expected to start in attack.
Aston Villa XI: Guzan; Richards, Clark, Lescott, Cissokho; Gueye, Sanchez, Westwood, Grealish; Gestede, Ayew
Bournemouth XI: Boruc; Smith, Francis, Cook, Daniels; Ritchie, O’Kane, Surman, Gradel; Grabban, King
PREDICTED SCORE: Aston Villa 1-3 Bournemouth
SWANSEA CITY VS CHELSEA
August 8, 2015 (Stamford Bridge): Chelsea 2-2 Swansea
- Swansea City have never beaten Chelsea in a Barclays Premier League match (D3 L6)
- Chelsea are looking to keep a fourth consecutive clean sheet at the Liberty Stadium across all competitions
- Diego Costa has scored more goals against Swansea than any other BPL side (five)
- Swansea playmaker Gylfi Sigurdsson (10) is the first Icelandic player to score 10+ goals in a top-flight season since Eidur Gudjohnsen in 2004/05 (12)
- Chelsea are enjoying the longest unbeaten run of any team in the Premier League this season, going 15 games without a loss (W7 D8)
Swansea should welcome back Andre Ayew (ankle), but Jordi Amat (knock) and Leon Britton (heel) are doubts.
Diego Costa is suspended for Chelsea, who will check on Gary Cahill (knock), Eden Hazard (thigh) and John Terry (calf).
Swansea XI: Fabianski; Rangel, Fernandez, Williams, Naughton; Cork, Britton; Ayew, Sigurdsson, Routledge; Gomis
Chelsea XI: Courtois; Rahman, Cahill, Ivanovic, Azpilicueta; Fabregas, Mikel; Willian, Oscar, Kenedy; Pedro
PREDICTED SCORE: Swansea 1-2 Chelsea
WATFORD VS EVERTON
August 8, 2015 (Goodison Park): Everton 2-2 Watford
- In the reverse fixture at Goodison Park, Watford twice led but could only hold onto a 2-2 draw. Ross Barkley and Arouna Kone both scored in the final 15 minutes for Everton
- Everton have won nine of their last 10 matches against the Hornets in all competitions (W9 D1 L0), last losing to Watford in March 1987
- Watford’s only clean sheet against Everton in any match came in their first meeting in August 1982. They have since gone 20 matches without a shutout against the Toffees
- Everton have earned 499 away points in the Barclays Premier League
- Only Crystal Palace (3) have gained fewer ponts than the Hornets in 2016 (8)
Everton will be bolstered by Gareth Barry’s retirm after he missed their past two matches through suspension. Fellow midfielders Leon Osman and Steven Pienaar are injury doubts.
Watford’s winless league run stands at five matches, although Flores will have a full squad to choose form if Valon Behrami recovers from illness.
Watford XI: Gomes; Nyom, Prodl, Cathcart, Ake; Abdi, Watson, Suarez, Capoue; Deeney, Ighalo
Everton XI: Robles; Coleman, Stones, Jagielka, Baines; McCarthy, Cleverley; Deulofeu, Barkley, Lennon; Lukaku
PREDICTED SCORE: Watford 1-1 Everton
SOUTHAMPTON VS NEWCASTLE UNITED
August 9, 2015 (St. James’ Park): Newcastle 2-2 Southampton
- Southampton are unbeaten in five Barclays Premier League matches against Newcastle United (W3 D2 L0)
- Newcastle have conceded two or more goals in six of their last seven BPL encounters with Southampton
- Southampton have only lost once at home to the Magpies in the competition (W11 D3 L1)
- Saints have won more matches (14) and scored more goals against Newcastle (52) than versus any other BPL opponent
- Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored three goals in his last two Premier League games, as many as he’d scored in his previous 18 in the competition
Newcastle United will be without a host of key players, although Fabricio Coloccini, Yoan Gouffran, Gabriel Obertan and Sylvain Marveaux are all nearing a return to first-team duty.
Southampton will be without midfielder Steven Davis and possibly defender Matt Targett after they picked up injuries against Leicester.
Southampton XI: Forster; Cedric, Fonte, Van Dijk, Bertrand; Clasie, Wanyama, Davis, Mane; Long, Pelle
Newcastle XI: Darlow; Janmaat, Mbemba, Taylor, Anita; Tiote, Shelvey; Townsend, Sissoko, Wijnaldum; Mitrovic
PREDICTED SCORE: Southampton 3-2 Newcastle United
CRYSTAL PALACE VS NORWICH CITY
August 8, 2015 (Carrow Road): Norwich 1-3 Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace: LDLLD
Norwich City: LLDWW
- Crystal Palace’s win over Norwich City in the reverse fixture was their first victory over the Canaries in the Barclays Premier League (D4 L4)
- Norwich are winless in 14 away league matches against Crystal Palace, last beating them at Selhurst Park in May 1996 (D5 L9)
- Norwich have won their last two BPL matches, after losing eight and drawing two of their previous 10. They last won three consecutive top-flight fixtures in December 2012
- A league-high nine of Crystal Palace’s BPL goals this season have been scored by defenders
- Exactly half of the goals Palace have scored this season have come from set-piece situations (17 out of 34), a league-high proportion
Palace’s main injury doubt is Emmanuel Adebayor, who was “not fully comfortable” in training on Thursday.
Norwich will check on Russell Martin after he picked up a knock, but Alex Tettey (ankle) is out for the season.
Crystal Palace XI: Hennessey; Ward, Dann, Delaney, Souare; Jedinak, Ledley; Zaha, Bolasie, Puncheon; Sako
Norwich XI: Ruddy; Wisdom, Bennett, Klose, Olsson; Jarvis, Howson, O’Neil, Brady; Naismith, Mbokani
PREDICTED SCORE: Crystal Palace 2-1 Norwich
MANCHESTER CITY VS WEST BROWMWICH ALBION
August 10, 2015 (The Hawthorns): West Brom 0-3 Man City
Man City: LWDLW
West Brom: WDWLD
- Manchester City have won each of their last eight Barclays Premier League matches against West Bromwich Albion
- West Brom have conceded three times in each of their last five league contests against Man City
- Man City’s last league defeat to West Brom came in December 2008. They have won 11 out of 12 against the Baggies since (D1)
- David Silva has scored in each of City’s last three league meetings with West Brom, and has netted in four of his last five top-flight encounters with the Baggies
- The Baggies have registered seven 1-0 wins this season, a joint-high figure along with Leicester City
Pellegrini will run the rule over Yaya Toure (heel/knee) and is set to again be without Raheem Sterling (groin) and Vincent Kompany, although the captain is reported to be progressing well from his latest calf injury.
Callum McManaman will be available to Tony Pulis after his comeback from an ankle ligament problem in an Under-21 match.
Man City XI: Hart; Zabaleta, Otamendi, Mangala, Kolarov; Fernando, Toure; Navas, Silva, De Bruyne; Aguero
West Brom XI: Foster; Dawson, Chester, Evans, McAuley; Yacob, Fletcher, Gardner, McClean; Rondon, Berahino
PREDICTED SCORE: Man City 4-0 West Brom
SUNDERLAND VS LEICESTER CITY
August 8, 2015 (King Power Stadium): Leicester 4-2 Sunderland
- Sunderland’s 4-2 defeat to Leicester City on the opening day of the season was their first loss in eight league matches against the Foxes (W4 D3)
- Leicester have scored just once in five Barclays Premier League visits to Sunderland (D3 L2)
- Sunderland have now drawn their last four league matches in a row; only once before have they registered five consecutive BPL draws (September to October 2010)
- Leicester’s last four top-flight matches have all ended in 1-0 wins; only once before has a team registered five consecutive BPL 1-0 wins (Everton in November 2002)
- Sam Allardyce has averaged just 1.04 points per game with Sunderland this season, his lowest average return from a single Premier League campaign
Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri confirmed on Friday that Jeffrey Schlupp will be available following a knee injury, meaning Leicester boast a clean bill of health for the trip north.
Sunderland are expected to be missing Duncan Watmore (ankle).
Sunderland XI: Mannone; Yedlin, Kone, Kaboul, Van Aanholt; Khaziri, M’Vila, Kirchhoff, Cattermole, Borini; Defoe
Leicester XI: Schmeichel; Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs; Mahrez, Drinkwater, Kante, Albrighton; Vardy, Okazaki
PREDICTED SCORE: Sunderland 2-2 Leicester
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR VS MANCHESTER UNITED
August 8, 2015 (Old Trafford): Man Utd 1-0 Tottenham
Man Utd: WWLWW
- Manchester United have now won back-to-back Barclays Premier League matches against Tottenham Hotspur, after a five-match winless run (D3 L2). They last won three in a row against Spurs in 2010 (four)
- Mauricio Pochettino’s Spurs are yet to score against Manchester United in three meetings
- Man Utd have not lost any of the last 14 top-flight encounters against Spurs at White Hart Lane, but have drawn six of the last eight (W8 D6)
- Spurs’ last home league win over United came on the final day of the 2000/01 season
- The Red Devils have won just two of their last nine away league games (D3 L4)
The match will come too soon for Wayne Rooney to be involved as the United captain continues his recovery from a knee injury with the club’s Under-21s. Ashley Young and Phil Jones, while lacking sharpness, are back in selection contention.
Nabil Bentaleb (knee) is Tottenham’s only confirmed absentee, with Clinton N’Jie and Jan Vertonghen (both knee) doubtful to return.
Tottenham XI: Lloris; Walker, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Rose; Dier, Dembélé; Son, Alli, Eriksen; Kane
Man Utd XI: De Gea; Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Rojo; Carrick; Mata, Lingard, Schneiderlin, Martial; Rashford
PREDICTED SCORE: Tottenham 0-0 Man Utd
LIVERPOOL VS STOKE CITY
August 9, 2015 (Britannia Stadium): Stoke 0-1 Liverpool
- Liverpool have won four of their last five Barclays Premier League meetings against Stoke, with the other match being a 6-1 loss on the final day of last season
- Stoke’s 1-0 win against Liverpool in the League Cup semi-final second leg in January ended a run of 36 matches without winning at Anfield (D5 L31). They went out of the competition on penalties that night
- Daniel Sturridge has scored three times and assisted three goals in six BPL appearances against Stoke
- Against no side has Jonathan Walters scored more top-flight goals than Liverpool (five)
- At Anfield, Liverpool have suffered just one defeat in their last eight Premier League games (W3 D4)
Captain Jordan Henderson (knee) is out for up to eight weeks for the Reds, who will assess the fitness of Lucas Leiva (thigh) and Christian Benteke (knee).
Stoke have Ryan Shawcross (back) in contention again, but Marko Arnautovic (knee) is a doubt. Glenn Whelan (back) will be checked ahead of the match, while the match has come too soon for Marc Wilson (knee).
Liverpool XI: Mignolet; Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno; Allen, Can; Milner, Lallana, Coutinho; Sturridge
Stoke XI: Haugaard; Bardsley, Cameron, Wollscheid, Pieters; Whelan, Imbula; Afellay, Bojan, Arnautovic; Joselu
PREDICTED SCORE: Liverpool 0-1 Stoke